| Project Rationale
An 18 member Steering Committee has responsibility for directing the program of activity over the Project's life and ensuring coherence among the individual elements. The Steering Committee comprises highly respected individuals in the field of international law and international relations. Their participation is intended to ensure legal, political, and cultural diversity in the project planning and implementation.
PICT Steering Committee (Current)
• Georges Abi-Saab (PICT Steering Committee Chair, Member, WTO Appellate Body, Emeritus Professor, Graduate Institute of International Studies, Geneva), Egypt.
• Mahnoush H. Arsanjani (United Nations, Office of Legal Affairs), Iran.
• Laurence Boisson de Chazournes (Professor, University of Geneva, Faculty of Law), France.
• Christine Chinkin (Professor, London School of Economics), Australia.
• James Crawford (Whewell Professor of International Law, University of Cambridge; Director, Lauterpacht Research Centre for International Law; Member of the International Law Commission), Australia.
• Pierre-Marie Dupuy (University of Paris II (Panthéon-Assas); Director, Institut des hautes études internationales), France.
• Florentino Feliciano (Member, WTO Appellate Body), Philippines.
• Rita E. Hauser (President, The Hauser Foundation; Chair, International Peace Academy), USA.
• Kamal Hossain (Senior Advocate, Supreme Court of Bangladesh; Commissioner, United Nations Compensation Commission), Bangladesh.
• David Kennedy (Harvard Law School), USA.
• Francisco Orrego Vicuna (Professor, University of Chile, Member, United Nations Compensation Commission), Chile.
• Monica Pinto (University of Buenos Aires), Argentina.
• Allan Rosas (Judge, European Court of Justice), Finland.
• Bruno Simma (University of Munich; Judge, International Court of Justice), Germany.
• Tullio Treves (Universitá degli Studi di Milano; Judge, International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea), Italy.
• Nina Vajic (Judge, European Court of Human Rights), Croatia.
• Eduardo Valencia Ospina (former Registrar, International Court of Justice, Consultant, Eversheds), Colombia.
• Christopher Weeramantry (former Vice-President, International Court of Justice), Sri Lanka.
• Antonio A. Cançado Trindade, Brazil
• Keith Highet, USA
• Sir Robert Jennings, UK
• Maurice Kamto, Cameroon
• Hisashi Owada, Japan
• Mohammed Shahabuddeen, Guyana
The Steering Committee meets regularly.
The first meeting was held at the Permanent Court of Arbitration, in The Hague, The Netherlands, in March 1998.
The second was held at the Center on International Cooperation, in New York, in October, 1998.
The third was held at the Lauterpacht Research Center in International Law, in Cambridge, UK, in November 1999.
The fourth was held at the Graduate Institute of International Studies, Geneva, Switzerland, in February 2001. Report not available.
The fifth was held at the Minerva Hotel, in Florence, Italy, in June 2002.
The sixth was held at the University of Milano Degli Studi, Milano, in October 2003.